(Re)building, (Re)searching, (Re)gain, (Re)flect, (Re)spond

In chapter 5 of the book “Light in the Dark” by Gloria Anzaldua, she states “Your goal is to cultivate an acute awareness of processes at work in your own psyche and to create symbols and patterns of its operations” (Anzaldua, & Keating, A.).

In 2020, being aware & accepting that I needed a career change after 15 years was my process. It was something that I reflected on for a full year before making the switch.

As an aspiring teacher, it is my hope that my students, the athletes that I coach, will leave my classroom or the football (soccer) pitch empowered and prepared enough to challenge the status quo if they want to be a business owner like myself while everyone is telling them to look elsewhere. I hope they have the ganas to create their own path & explore their own passions as I did & continue to do. And I hope they learn something new, feel inspired, whether it is a new skill or technique or something about themselves that propels them to the next phase in their life.

We need students to boldly (Re)imagine the world around them. And we especially need community leaders need to do their part & build a community that provides everyone with equal opportunity & safe spaces.

As for me, I am still (Re)building after 2020. Still (Re)flecting.


Anzaldua, & Keating, A. (2015). Light in the dark/luz en lo oscuro. Duke University Press.

Comments