Transforming Borders - What do we do with this? Where do we go from here? What does it mean to transform? What is transformation? How can we use these theories for transformative work?

Growing up, in K-12, I was the little girl in the front row of the class picture. I was small for my age. In 4th grade, I became interested in basketball. I distinctly remember thinking that I wanted to perform beyond my dance classes which I was slowly disliking as I got older. So I transformed from a ballerina to a basketball player. I remember the wanting of approval, the cheering of the audiences. I wanted the spotlight.

When I tried out for basketball my freshman year of high school, the coach at my school told me that I was too short to be on the team. I was short. But to not provide me with an opportunity to even try out is something that I still carry around with me. Had I had the ganas at that time, I would have four lettered that coach all the way to the principal's office. I was new and didn't want to cause a scene on day #2 of high school. I never played basketball again. Softball wasn't offered to freshmen or sophomores. By the time I reached my junior year, I had transformed myself away from all things sport. I immersed myself with building up my high school resume through volunteerism as a way to boost my average grades.

Your junior - senior year of high school, when you start to narrow down schools, teachers/counselors etc. ask you what you might want to pursue. Though I knew I wouldn't get an athletic scholarship at that point, I wanted to pursue a career as a sports journalist. At the time there was one female sports journalist on our local news casts. One local station out of five had one woman reporting. And she was an Emmy winning reporter. When she realized that she wouldn't be moving up to lead anchor, she too had transformed herself  away from all things sport. 

My counselor or a teacher (I don't recall which) who was leading a discussion with a class about future plans point blank told me that I didn't have a face for television. So once again, I transformed myself away from all things sport. I didn't have a major in mind when I graduated high school, or when I transferred from a community college to a major four year university in the DFW area. I ultimately dropped out after my first year. Three years into college and I had no major or support. So I started a small event planning & management business. I created my own path. I worked odd jobs here and there at the same time to offset initial expenses. As I worked with nonprofits, I transformed myself from a kid with no skills right out of high school to a young adult who met & worked with with heads of state, congressional leaders and two, now former U.S. Presidents. 

To transform means to evolve from one position, one situation to another. Often we have to respond to a restriction of oppression based on gender, race or ability. Other times transformation can occur simply by living one's truth. Being authentic.

In my twenties, through volunteerism, I gained new friends who loved sports like I once did and I eased back into it as a fan. Eventually, I found my love for sports again. So much so that I have learned a new sport that wasn't an option for me in middle or high school. It was only for the boys: Women's football (soccer). I love coaching and teaching, working with assistants, interacting with parents/guardians, setting players up for success and learning from others in my position. 

I was shut down by social constructs growing up. And as I transform again and go into education, the skills I've learned along the way will help me to break the barriers that still remain for all educators, female athletes, & for all who identify as women. 

To transform means to "make way".

Comments